I’ve been wanting to make a hobby horse for my Niece for a while. The thing is I didn’t want to make a fancy sewn one. My sewing skills are pretty basic and by the time you’ve purchased all the stuff you may as well have just bought one. I love working with paper and cardboard because if you have kids you always have a stash of it so I decided to make a cardboard hobby horse.
My Niece and I are both fans of My Little Pony so I decided to make a Rainbow Dash Hobby Horse. It’s easy and you can get the templates for free below.
You will need:
- A piece if cardboard A3 size
- Blue paint
- A mixture of coloured paper or card
- A garden cane
- Glue stick
- Dark blue felt tip pen
Using the free template draw around the edge to get the shape of the pony’s head and neck, cut that out and paint it light blue. When the paint has dried draw a boarder around the outside edges with the felt tip. Also draw a little nose line and a small line in the ear.
- Cut out the hair pieces and glue them all together as pictured below.
- Then stick the whole thing to the cardboard.
- Repeat this for the opposite side of the cardboard.
- Glue the mane in place and attach the two coloured details on top.
- Repeat for the other side.
- Glue the eye pieces together as pictured for both sides.
- Stick them into place.
Now you need to attach the head to a stick. I just used a garden cane that i split at the top with a knife and slotted the cardboard in place. To finish off it’s quite nice to paint the top of the cane so it’s not so visible.
Shop this project:
Hobby horses I love: